Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: ANA 1:2560

carolw - Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:46 pm

I am 49 female. I had test done came back I was anemic and and sed rate was 57. with an ana of 2560. My doctor put me on prednezone and plaquenil and sent me to a rheumy. He did the tests again and everything came out in the normal range except for the ANA which continues to be 2560. I am just wondering why I would continue to have such a High ANA when everything else seems normal.

thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:49 am

User avatar Elevated ANA is often a marker that signals systemic lupus erythematosis (commonly known as lupus). However, there is a small percentage of the population that will have a positive ANA without any underlying disease.

Several other rheumatologic diseases can have a positive ANA also.

If you are completely asymptomatic it is possible that you are one of those with an incidentally positive ANA. It is a good idea to see the rheumatologist anyway to have a thorough evaluation. Occasionally, the ANA may begin to rise before the other symptoms appear. Your rheumatologist will be able to help decipher this for you.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us