Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: SCL-70 antibodies ?

 elizabethmarie - Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:01 pm

i have been seeing a rheumatologist for almost three years, Recently both my PA and rhuemy have relocated; I live in a very rural area ,doctors relocate frequently here.
So my post does'nt go on endlessly, I have the usually complaint :fatigue, joint pain, raynauds, sicca etc.
I have tested postive many times with a very high ANA, low C3,
Scl-70 antibodies, low ANION GAP, Low alkaline phosphatase, high gladian IGg.
I do not have any skin involvement at this time; but there is always "sine scleroderma".
My question is, Should I be looking into other diseases other then scleroderma? The docotr has suspected lupus too because of the high ANA.
If I have to start all over with two new doctors I want to make sure I am going to the right specialst. I will have to travel now because there are no specialist here now.
Please help me with this, what other disease might have the SCL-70 antibodies other then scleroderma?
Thank you,
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat May 05, 2007 8:52 pm

User avatar Anti Scl-70 antibodies seem to be pretty specific for scleroderma. With the elevated ANA, lupus must aslo be considered as you have said.

Rheumatology is a field that is constantly changing as we learn more. It is quite possible that we may learn that Scl-70 antibodies are also associated with other diseases.

Seeing a rheumatologist will be very helpful for you.

Best wishes.
 elizabethmarie - Sun May 06, 2007 4:02 pm

Dear Doctor,

Thank you,
I hope my question also helps others.
I have tried doing research on this but I am a "lay" person and have limited resources. I have read some articles on Pub Med that have followed some cases of people who tested positive for the SCL-70 ant-bodies and had no signs of scleroderma but were diagnosed with lupus. Interesting?
I da have raynauds and high BP; so there are some issues for me. My main complaints are the joint, ligaments and tendon pain.
What are the chances of seeing a remission?


| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us