Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Question: Hypothyroidism and high glucose?

mau - Thu May 03, 2007 10:15 pm

Hi -
I'm a 38yo female, (5'6" 140lbs). Got blood test recently due to fatigue, short-term memory problems, mental fuzziness and family history of hypothyroidism. TSH was 5.7 and doc prescribed synthroid. Have only been on it for a few days but am sure it will help when it kicks in.

However, fasting glucose has been on high end last 2 tests (101 in Jan, 95 in April). My father is diabetic. I have not gained weight but LOST weight. And I don't eat alot of sugar or bad carbs. I recently read a journal article linking thyroiditis to high glucose and another to insulin resistance. However, I'm not a biochemist and really have no idea what they are talking about. I would like to get to the ROOT of the problem though and not just treat the symptom of a different problem.

Should I investigate this further? I want to go to another doctor that is more knowledgeable about this than my GP. What type of doctor could help?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri May 04, 2007 2:25 pm

User avatar Fasting glucose levels are generally considered normal if they are between 60 and 100. Levels of 100-126 are considered impaired and levels above 126 are considered consistent with Diabetes.

Your levels are really borderline normal. I would not be concerned about this. As your thyroid becomes normal you may see improved glucose utilization as well.

I would suggest you have the test repeated in 6 months or so once your thyroid is normal.

mau - Sat May 05, 2007 11:50 am

Thanks Dr. Lowe. That makes sense and puts my mind at ease too!