Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Hypothyroidism and high glucose?

mau - Thu May 03, 2007 10:15 pm

Hi -
I'm a 38yo female, (5'6" 140lbs). Got blood test recently due to fatigue, short-term memory problems, mental fuzziness and family history of hypothyroidism. TSH was 5.7 and doc prescribed synthroid. Have only been on it for a few days but am sure it will help when it kicks in.

However, fasting glucose has been on high end last 2 tests (101 in Jan, 95 in April). My father is diabetic. I have not gained weight but LOST weight. And I don't eat alot of sugar or bad carbs. I recently read a journal article linking thyroiditis to high glucose and another to insulin resistance. However, I'm not a biochemist and really have no idea what they are talking about. I would like to get to the ROOT of the problem though and not just treat the symptom of a different problem.

Should I investigate this further? I want to go to another doctor that is more knowledgeable about this than my GP. What type of doctor could help?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri May 04, 2007 2:25 pm

User avatar Fasting glucose levels are generally considered normal if they are between 60 and 100. Levels of 100-126 are considered impaired and levels above 126 are considered consistent with Diabetes.

Your levels are really borderline normal. I would not be concerned about this. As your thyroid becomes normal you may see improved glucose utilization as well.

I would suggest you have the test repeated in 6 months or so once your thyroid is normal.

Best wishes.
 mau - Sat May 05, 2007 11:50 am

Thanks Dr. Lowe. That makes sense and puts my mind at ease too!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us