Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Sudden intense pain in my legs

 D - Tue May 08, 2007 7:49 pm

Hi...I'm 29, female, and live in a violent household, which results in making me shake from getting nervous. Yesterday, there was another 'situation', and I got so nervous, that it was as if I was suddenly struck with my legs being too weak to walk. I could walk, but oh the effort it took! Today I woke up, (the 'situation' is now over--for the time being, anyway) and my legs hurt so bad that I limped all day at work. (Secretary, not a strenuous job.) I feel like I upped and ran a 20-mile marathon! My arms hurt too, (not as much--the right one is worse than the left) and when I move my abdomen muscles, they feel sore as if I've done situps!! This is so weird...the pain is pretty bad, not minor. The act of sitting and standing is really painful; in my legs, the worst pain is in my thighs.

I had a blood test in Feb, which showed my hgb (1 point) and hct (2 points) above the normal range, (which happens more often than not with those two) and surprisingly, my potassium was half a point below the normal range. The blood test I had before that (Nov) showed my platelets 4000 above the normal range, though they were normal in the Feb test. I have asthma and take the 2nd-level advair.

I just sat up from my bed to get these tests out of a nearby drawer, and could hardly indian-cross my legs from the pain. Any idea what this could be? Seems odd that 'mere' shaking could really cause this. My body feels like someone beat me to a pulp! I couldn't run right now if my life depended on it!

Thank you so much for your forums!
 Marceline F, RN - Wed May 09, 2007 11:19 am

User avatar Dear D,
I would be interested in knowing the results of your blood count tests over a period of time.With the limited information you are able to provide, i am considering polycythemia vera as a possible cause of your mixed complaints. Polycythemia is a usually inherited disorder whereby your body manufactures more blood cells than normal. This could account for your elevated CBC and platelets, and the bone pain. There are simple blood tests that can help your primary MD to diagnose your disorder. And there are treatment options available. Therapeutic phlebotomy is one of these. This is a simple procedure similar to donating blood, in which a unit of blood is withdrawn from the body for the purpose of lessening the amount of red blood cells in circulation. In severe cases, more than one unit is withdrawn. Your primary doctor can arrange both the tests, and if positive, the treatment.
 D - Wed May 09, 2007 12:13 pm

Oh wow...I forgot to mention that my maternal grandfather HAS polycythemia vera. He was diagnosed with it when he was 35-40-ish. He and I have the same blood type; O+. My blood pressure is usually on the low side, I don't know if that means anything.

I've looked up stuff online and knew that I had 2 of the signs of PV, but didn't have the money or insurance for more tests. I'll definitely look into being tested though. Is there any harm in going undiagosed for a length of time?

Thank you very much!
 Marceline F, RN - Thu May 10, 2007 3:00 am

User avatar Dear D,
Unfortunately, PV (Polycythemia Vera) is a very serious and chronic disorder that current data indicates a poor survivability of 1.5 to 3 years untreated. The good news is that there are treatment options available now that can extend this time frame 10 to 20 years. The complications of PV include the possibility of the development of thromboses (clots), hemmorhage, as well as pancytopenia. It would be wise for you to secure medical intervention as soon as you are able. A hematologist is the specialist you need to consult - as soon as possible.
 D - Thu May 10, 2007 6:28 am

Wow, my grandfather is 77 and still alive.

From what I looked up, I don't have ALL of the blood-test signs at the moment for PV, just those 2, but I will definitely get myself tested as soon as I can.

Thanks so much! :)
 Marceline F, RN - Fri May 11, 2007 4:21 am

User avatar Dear D,
Thanks for the feedback. I certainly hope that further testing will give you the information you need to live a very long and productive life! Thank you for choosing Doctors Lounge. Please keep us posted!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us