Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: earache,pain in neck and shoulders

 jasmine_g - Tue May 22, 2007 4:05 am

Hi,I am 28yr. old female.I was diagnosed with RA AND FIBROMYALGIA 3 years ago.9 months after having my son I experienced a very bad flare and am now on prednisolene,celebrex,plaquenil and norgesic for when pain is very bad. I have arthritis in my hand,wrist,knees, and ankles.Over the last 2 days I started to experience a very bad earache,and excriciating pain in my shoulders and down my neck.Could this be caused by the arthritis? What can I take for it?

I had functional endoscopic sinus surgery and trimming of the paradoxical middles turbinates 2 months ago and am now 98% healed.I have experinced earaches on and off after surgery but ENT specialist said my ears looked fine and put it down to my jaw even though I know I don't clench or grind my teeth at night.

Would really appreciate advice on what to do or if I should go see my rheumatologist?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue May 22, 2007 7:11 pm

User avatar I would recommend you see your primary care doctor to start. There are a few possible causes of your pain. You may have an external ear infection with associated lymph node swelling that can cause the neck pain. A high pinched nerve in the neck could potentially cause this pain as well (though less likely).

If your primary doctor is unable to find a cause it is reasonable to see your rheumatologist to see if these symptoms may be related to your arthritis.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us