Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Question: earache,pain in neck and shoulders

jasmine_g - Tue May 22, 2007 4:05 am

Hi,I am 28yr. old female.I was diagnosed with RA AND FIBROMYALGIA 3 years ago.9 months after having my son I experienced a very bad flare and am now on prednisolene,celebrex,plaquenil and norgesic for when pain is very bad. I have arthritis in my hand,wrist,knees, and ankles.Over the last 2 days I started to experience a very bad earache,and excriciating pain in my shoulders and down my neck.Could this be caused by the arthritis? What can I take for it?

I had functional endoscopic sinus surgery and trimming of the paradoxical middles turbinates 2 months ago and am now 98% healed.I have experinced earaches on and off after surgery but ENT specialist said my ears looked fine and put it down to my jaw even though I know I don't clench or grind my teeth at night.

Would really appreciate advice on what to do or if I should go see my rheumatologist?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue May 22, 2007 7:11 pm

User avatar I would recommend you see your primary care doctor to start. There are a few possible causes of your pain. You may have an external ear infection with associated lymph node swelling that can cause the neck pain. A high pinched nerve in the neck could potentially cause this pain as well (though less likely).

If your primary doctor is unable to find a cause it is reasonable to see your rheumatologist to see if these symptoms may be related to your arthritis.