Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Lupus symptoms no diagnosis

acousticgurl - Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:42 pm

My name is Amanda, I'm a 22 year old female with much going wrong. Symptoms include: swelling in joints; burning and hot to touch, tendon pain and swelling in feet, re-occuring yeast infections; three this year alone, extreme pain in abdomen directly below my breast bone, bad headaches at least two a week, painful sores inside my nose that last for weeks, painless sores on the roof of my mouth, extreme fatigue especially when in the sun; followed by redness across my cheeks and nose, and irregular periods which my gyn fixed with Ortho-cyclen (only current medication I'm on) My family doctor suggested lupus and gave me an ANA test which came back negative so she stopped listening to my problems. Since then I haven't gone back and things just keep getting worse. Can I have a negavite ANA and still have lupus?
Thank you all for your time, I greatly appreciate it.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:55 pm

User avatar Hi Acousticgurl,

Most people use a set of 11 diagnostic criteria to diagnose lupus. Having 4 of the eleven is considered diagnostic. The ANA being positive is only one of the criteria.

Most people with lupus do have a + ANA; however, it is possible to have lupus without being ANA +.

Based on your description it sounds like you have the following criteria met:
1) arthritis
2) mucositis (based on the sores in your nose/mouth)
3) a malar rash (butterfly type rash on the nose and cheek bones)

There are a few others that are less certain but you may also meet the finding of photosensitivity (although a strict definition of this is getting a rash in sun exposed areas).

I would recommend that you see a rheumatologist for further evaluation. There are some other lab diagnostic criteria (including other antibodies and changes on the CBC) that should be evaluated for also. Getting a rheumatologist's opinion will be the best way to formally make this diagnosis.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us