Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: sharp shooting pain in right side of neck for over 15 years

nan - Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:41 am

I am 46, female, no past diagnoses. Veins striped in left leg at 22, no other surgeries since then. Have had mri-shows nothing. No medications. I get an extremely sharp shooting pain on the right side of my neck, right under my jaw, approximately 2 1/2 inches from my ear lobe.This pain is excruciating and is a shooting pain that comes and goes quickly. It is 2:30 in the morning and the pain is so bad and comes every 6-7 seconds I can not sleep. There is nothing I can link it too(food,drink,exercise). I have had this pain come and go for over 12 years.
Please help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:03 am

User avatar Hi Nan,

This pain sounds very much like nerve pain. I would suggest that you see either a neurologist or a neurosurgeon to have this better evaluated. You may need some more specialized nerve testing.

Unfortunately I really can't explain what may be causing your pain, especially with a normal MRI. If it has been a little while repeating the MRI may be helpful.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us