Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: muscle pain all over

 rene - Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:44 pm

for the last couple years, i have experienced pretty severe discomfort when you press on any of the outside of my arms, legs (upper thigh area) and buttocks. like where the main muscles would be. just wondering what this could mean. it is very worriesome
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:04 am

User avatar At first glance I would wonder about fibromyalgia. It is not a specific disease but a syndrome of problems that interfere with functioning as you would like. Generally it is described as being widespread pain with or without other symptoms. It might feel like muscle soreness that would come after exercise but this comes without actually doing it.

There are screening procedures to diagnose but no specific definitive single test. Sensitivity at certain trigger points cause one to lean toward this diagnosis. Treatments aim at improving comfort and often consist of moderate exercise, and sometimes medications such as antidepressants that tend to help you sleep better. Sleep impairment is a common symptom and it is not known if the pain is aggravated by not enough rest or if the body is unable to rest due to the pain. Kind of a chicken and egg situation.

A rheumatologist would be the specialty area you should seek, although a family doctor might be good at diagnosing this as well. A person may suspect it but it takes a doctor familiar with this condition to give a more sure diagnosis. If you find this is what you have you may also benefit from a support group where others who suffer share what works for them.

I have focused on fibromyalgia because this is one fairly common cause of muscle pain. That is not to say there might not be other problems causing this. Other conditions include lupus, arthritis, and other less common problems.

Good luck in getting to the bottom of this troubling concern.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us