Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Question: FM and irritable bladder & IR

tammyinwv - Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:47 pm

I have had post traumatic fm since 1995. For the past couple of years I have had problems with sudden extreme urges to urinate. I am only 43.As long as I am sitting I am OK, but when Istand or am standing, the urge will suddenly hit and I may or may not be able to stop it. During the past few months it has gotten worse.Much STRONGER urges with accidents. My doc put me on Detrol la which has helped a lot. My problem is he is a GP and most of his experience dealing with FM has been with me over the years. I feel the FM is causing the strong bladder spasms . He isnt sure. Am I right is thinking the fm whcih causes muscle spasms elsewhere is also effecting the bladder?

Also, I feel I may have some insulin resistence. My father is diabetic. My fasting blood sugar has been in the normal range, But I occasionally have episodes of low blood sugar before lunch if I havent eaten small amounts before hand. I also have what appears to be acanthos nigricans (sp?), due to darkening and thickening of skin at back of neck and under arms.Also some beginning discoloration below cheekbones, and at corner of my eyes, and ruddy colored skin at edges of lips that is more prominent when exposed to sun.According to Doctor Devin Starlanyl's site, IR can accompany FM.IS this so? What causes it? and most importantly should treating this be a concern?If so, how?
 Dr. Russell M - Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:25 pm

User avatar Hi!

Wot's FM & IR?

bill
 tammyinwv - Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:32 pm

Sorry, its stands for fibromyalgia and insulin resistence.