Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Leg muscle problems

gwbarnes - Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:27 pm

I am a 47-year-old man and I have been experiencing loss of flexibility in my calves and hamstring muscles for the past five years. I also have a constant soreness and tenderness deep in my calf muscles. My doctors kept sending me to therapy. I cannot stretch the muscles at all and when I try even low level stretching, the muscles will not flex and in fact I experience a tearing sensation. All my therapy treatments have resulted in more pain and less flexibility. No one can tell me what is going on. I can't even walk for any length of time without being laid up afterwards. The calves are the worst and everyday. The hamstrings pop or pull if I due any exercise or running or jogging. Quinine and potassium do not help. Can you give me some direction on this?
 Dr. Russell M - Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:47 am

User avatar Hi!

I see that you have tried muscle relaxants and electrolyte supplementation to relieve your ailment. Have you been treated by a neurologist? Has physical therapy been tried? In the long run, physical therapy may be the only way to circumvent many of the musculoskeletal abnormalities.

bill

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us