Question: Leg muscle problems

gwbarnes - Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:27 pm

I am a 47-year-old man and I have been experiencing loss of flexibility in my calves and hamstring muscles for the past five years. I also have a constant soreness and tenderness deep in my calf muscles. My doctors kept sending me to therapy. I cannot stretch the muscles at all and when I try even low level stretching, the muscles will not flex and in fact I experience a tearing sensation. All my therapy treatments have resulted in more pain and less flexibility. No one can tell me what is going on. I can't even walk for any length of time without being laid up afterwards. The calves are the worst and everyday. The hamstrings pop or pull if I due any exercise or running or jogging. Quinine and potassium do not help. Can you give me some direction on this?
 Dr. Russell M - Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:47 am

User avatar Hi!

I see that you have tried muscle relaxants and electrolyte supplementation to relieve your ailment. Have you been treated by a neurologist? Has physical therapy been tried? In the long run, physical therapy may be the only way to circumvent many of the musculoskeletal abnormalities.

bill