Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Growth in a 22 year old guy, can I grow taller further

 sushantpandey - Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:43 am

Dear Doctor
I am a 22 year old guy, I am 5 feet 8 inches and while browsing through the web pages I passed by quite a few medicines boasting to enhance height even after 20 years, so I just wanted to know that are those medicines worth trying or not, because they are also a type of steriods for the body. So your suggestion on the same is a must for me.

 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:09 pm

User avatar There are no proven methods that you can buy through the internet and no known supplements - natural or otherwise - to help your growth. Good nutrition can do as much or more than anything else. I would recommend lots of vegetables in particular. Height is mostly genetic and in some cases human growth hormones are needed if there is truly some type of problem restricting the normal growth and maturation of organs in the body. This is by prescription for those who require it. You are wasting your money on the products advertised. Some males do continue to add inches into their early twenties, though most have stopped growing by around age 16.

The one way an inch or two can be added is surgical bone lengthening - a tedious and painful process for only an inch of height.

I hope you will come to realize that your value has little to do with your physical stature. You can increase your muscle mass through body building and this can be a tremendous psychological boost to a man's image and attractiveness.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us