Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: popping in the back of my neck

darthvader737 - Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:32 pm

Hi, Im 23 and been smoking mj since I was 18 off and on small hits mainly before I go to sleep, its kind turned in to a habit, lately I noticed the back of my neck popping, I jest hope its nothing serious and well go away by kicking my habit, any advice? I don’t fell any bumps or anything like that.

Thanks
-John
 Dr. Russell M - Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:00 pm

User avatar Hi!

By mj, do you mean marijuana? If so, I wouldn't wait for my neck to pop before I said goodbye to mj. Nevertheless, has this poppin of the neck been affecting you in any way? Is there pain?

If nothing else, I am not aware of any relation between mj and poppin in the neck. But it would be just a matter of time before problems of mj begin appearing. And I'd vote for dumping the habit.

bill
 funky-headaches - Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:46 pm

Hello,
I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis. It mainly affects my spine and feet, but lately I have been having a lot of cracking in my cervical neck. The symptoms start off with pain and muscle stiffiness. When I move my neck during which time(s) that I have this stiffness the vertebraes (?spelling) make a cracking sound. It is very painful.

I carry the B27 antigen that is linked to anklyosing spondalytis, but my rhuematologist says the gene is not active. I don't really believe that this true. Sometimes I take flexeril to take the pain away from my spine and neck as welll as over the counter Naprosin (?spelling). I am a 44 year old female, and I have been on disability for many years because of this condition.

I get headaches almost every day and an MRI showed a small venous angioma that is draining into the main artery.

Should I ask my doctor for a MRI of my neck?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us