Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Ankles

 Windancer - Sun Mar 30, 2003 11:48 am

Im a 50 yr old, white male with red areas around my ankles. The areas cover about 4 inches all the way around both ankles. The skin is very sensitive and injures very easily. Any injury becomes infected and takes a lot of care to keep it from getting realy bad. Neosporin usually does the trick but they must be addressed several times a day. It started about 6 months ago with small red patches on the back of my ankles. Any advice and info you can give me? Thank you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:27 pm

User avatar Looks like a fungal infection. You may need to seek a dermatologist for long lasting treatment.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us