Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Question: Leg pain from Shin to Ankel

xanadu - Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:24 pm

I fell almost to weeks ago. About a week after my fall the swelling in my leg and the pain had gotten worse I also had and still have fluid retension in the leg. I went to a local clinic about two days ago and the X-rays they took showed nothing broken . The lower part of my leg is now alternating between numbness and a dull pain and I am finding it more and more difficult to walk .
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:12 pm

User avatar Thanks for your patience.
Pain and swelling in a leg after a fall...xrays are negative.
I would like to know specifically where the pain is located (e.g. in or around a specific joint vs in the muscles or tendons) and does weight bearing make it worse. Crutches may be needed until the limb heals. It is also important to consider:past trauma, any past medical history (diabetes, osteoporosis, circulation problems in the legs, arthritis), past surgeries; any response to hot or cold packs, acetominophen or ibuprofen; any use of splints or Ace wraps.
Did the local clinician offer any suggestions of a diagnosis of sprain or strain and how to treat it.
Many non fracture post traumatic injuries in a limb are disagnosed as a strain or sprain and treated accordingly.
Keep us updated on how things have gone.