Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Leg pain from Shin to Ankel

xanadu - Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:24 pm

I fell almost to weeks ago. About a week after my fall the swelling in my leg and the pain had gotten worse I also had and still have fluid retension in the leg. I went to a local clinic about two days ago and the X-rays they took showed nothing broken . The lower part of my leg is now alternating between numbness and a dull pain and I am finding it more and more difficult to walk .
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:12 pm

User avatar Thanks for your patience.
Pain and swelling in a leg after a fall...xrays are negative.
I would like to know specifically where the pain is located (e.g. in or around a specific joint vs in the muscles or tendons) and does weight bearing make it worse. Crutches may be needed until the limb heals. It is also important to consider:past trauma, any past medical history (diabetes, osteoporosis, circulation problems in the legs, arthritis), past surgeries; any response to hot or cold packs, acetominophen or ibuprofen; any use of splints or Ace wraps.
Did the local clinician offer any suggestions of a diagnosis of sprain or strain and how to treat it.
Many non fracture post traumatic injuries in a limb are disagnosed as a strain or sprain and treated accordingly.
Keep us updated on how things have gone.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us