Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Left Flank Pain. Low GFR

 janjel - Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:40 pm

I'm an LPN with SLE. For months I've had a sharp pain in my left side under the lower ribs. In April they did a chest xray and CT scans to see if it was my lungs. The only thing that showed up was some swollen lymph nodes. The blood test showed elevated C reactive proteins, and sed rate and a GFR of 56. The pain eased off and I let it drop. Well, now it's back, and over the last couple of weeks it's gotten really bad. They've given me lortab, and it doesn't touch it. I had an abdominal CT scan and it was normal. My GFR is now 55 and I have an elevated C-reactive protein again. I don't know if it's related to the pain, but it's the only thing I've been able to see. The doctor I work with is stumped. He doesn't know why I have this pain and my rheumatologist ignores me. He's the only one in the area, so I have no other recourse. If you have any suggestions about the cause of the pain please help me out. I don't know if the GFR is related or not. My family doctor is willing to listen to any suggestions I can find for the cause of the pain.
Thank you.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:44 pm

User avatar Thanks for you patience.

You presented a history of SLE, GFR at 56-55, left sided lower rib pain recurring.

Regarding the pain, is it tender to touch; does it change with movement; does it increase with deep respirations.

It would be prudent to think about a musculoskeletal cause or a pleuritis etiology (inflamation of the lung or inner chest wall lining). Occasionally, SLE "flare-ups" present with pleuritic pain.

Regarding the kidney concerns, commonly SLE patients have kidney disease. It would be worthwhile to get a UA with microscopy, Bun, Cr, and a 24 hour urine if protein present on the UA.

Your family physician may consider SLE as a source of both problems and test and treat accordingly including consult to nephrologist.

Let us know how things go.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us