Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Left Flank Pain. Low GFR

janjel - Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:40 pm

I'm an LPN with SLE. For months I've had a sharp pain in my left side under the lower ribs. In April they did a chest xray and CT scans to see if it was my lungs. The only thing that showed up was some swollen lymph nodes. The blood test showed elevated C reactive proteins, and sed rate and a GFR of 56. The pain eased off and I let it drop. Well, now it's back, and over the last couple of weeks it's gotten really bad. They've given me lortab, and it doesn't touch it. I had an abdominal CT scan and it was normal. My GFR is now 55 and I have an elevated C-reactive protein again. I don't know if it's related to the pain, but it's the only thing I've been able to see. The doctor I work with is stumped. He doesn't know why I have this pain and my rheumatologist ignores me. He's the only one in the area, so I have no other recourse. If you have any suggestions about the cause of the pain please help me out. I don't know if the GFR is related or not. My family doctor is willing to listen to any suggestions I can find for the cause of the pain.
Thank you.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:44 pm

User avatar Thanks for you patience.

You presented a history of SLE, GFR at 56-55, left sided lower rib pain recurring.

Regarding the pain, is it tender to touch; does it change with movement; does it increase with deep respirations.

It would be prudent to think about a musculoskeletal cause or a pleuritis etiology (inflamation of the lung or inner chest wall lining). Occasionally, SLE "flare-ups" present with pleuritic pain.

Regarding the kidney concerns, commonly SLE patients have kidney disease. It would be worthwhile to get a UA with microscopy, Bun, Cr, and a 24 hour urine if protein present on the UA.

Your family physician may consider SLE as a source of both problems and test and treat accordingly including consult to nephrologist.

Let us know how things go.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us