Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Question: Can fibromyalgia cause high fasting blood sugar

stampingangel - Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:20 pm

Is it possible that fibromyalgia can cause high fasting blood sugar in a patient, especially if the person has an illness such as colitis?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:29 pm

Blood sugar fluctuations would not be expected with fibromyalgia. There are wide and varied symptoms with this disorder but I think you should look at other causes of a high fasting blood sugar.

stampingangel - Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:28 pm

Hello, thank you for your answer. I was just wondering because I know that fibromyalgia causes stress on the body. I have had it for 18 years and now that I am sick I want to rule out that the fibromyalgia is causing the slight spike in my fasting sugar. The doctor is concerned about it because it is at 120 but I have been ill with colitis since July. I have heard that if anything the blood sugar will drop but I need to know if it does the opposite. You have helped me with that. Thank you.