Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Can fibromyalgia cause high fasting blood sugar

stampingangel - Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:20 pm

Is it possible that fibromyalgia can cause high fasting blood sugar in a patient, especially if the person has an illness such as colitis?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:29 pm

User avatar Hello,

Blood sugar fluctuations would not be expected with fibromyalgia. There are wide and varied symptoms with this disorder but I think you should look at other causes of a high fasting blood sugar.

Best wishes.
 stampingangel - Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:28 pm

Hello, thank you for your answer. I was just wondering because I know that fibromyalgia causes stress on the body. I have had it for 18 years and now that I am sick I want to rule out that the fibromyalgia is causing the slight spike in my fasting sugar. The doctor is concerned about it because it is at 120 but I have been ill with colitis since July. I have heard that if anything the blood sugar will drop but I need to know if it does the opposite. You have helped me with that. Thank you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us