Question: 23 year old with pain and swelling in ankle for 4 months?

lou lou - Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:00 pm

Hi I am 23 years old and i have really bad pain and swelling in my ankle leading down my foot and into my big toe. The underneeth of my foot also hurts, the pain is alot worse in the morning but does'nt go away allday. The pain is right up to half way between my knee and foot. could you please help me, it has been like this for about 4 months. What is it?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:16 pm

User avatar Some questions about "Pain and swelling in the foot that radiates both down to the toe and up the calf":

Is the pain worsening?
Is there redness and warmth with the pain and swelling? Any fever?
Are you overweight? (may increase risk of ankle injury or arthritis)
Was there an injury or an increase in activity 4-5 months ago?
What kind of work do you do?
Do you have flat feet or high arches?
Any changes in shoes?
Does the pain start on the inside or outside part of the ankle?
Any history of back problems?
Do any other joints hurt?
Any leg weakness?
Any numbness or "pins and needles"?

Neurological problems (pinched nerve, bony spur, arthritis, lumbar disk problem) of the lumbar spine can cause pain, pins and needles, numbness, or weakness in the lower leg.

Otherwise a good exam of the ankle itself will be important as several local structures can cause this kind of pain: ankle ligament sprain, arthritis in the ankle joint, small fractures, etc.

Answers to these questions will help you prepare to see a physician who can assess the ankle in person. Also, an x-ray may be neccesary.