Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Question: Pain In back of knee

pollybox - Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:59 pm

Hi I have for the last few weeks been getting excrutiating pain in the back of my right knee on bending( squatting down and sitting bringing my knee in line with my other)..Keeping the knee extended a little relieves the pain, but today I have also been getting pain in the top of the right calf too..I have had no injury to this knee.and there is no swelling..Please help..thanks
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:02 pm

User avatar There are some things to consider with this knee pain. Most importantly is a deep vein thrombosis (DVT). Risk factors for DVT include sedentary positions (hospital stays, prolonged travel in plane or car, orthopedic and other surgery), pregnancy, hx of cancer, family or personal hx of clotting disorders. Signs may include swelling, pain, redness in the calf. Low probability of DVT may warrant a blood test called BNP whereas a higher probability for DVT may warrant venous doppler ultrasound test.

Other possible diagnosis include:
Baker's cyst (benign cyst in the posterior knee ie back portion of the knee)
Internal knee ligament damage
Internal knee cartiledge damage
Tendon strain or sprain (e.g. hamstring)

It is important to see a physician who will evaluate the knee and quickly determine the probability of DVT with appropriate testing. Otherwise orthopedic considerations will be made.