Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Pain in Big Toe

juco11 - Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:10 pm

A few weeks ago I was visiting family in Florida where I of course spent several days taking walks barefooted on the beach. I ended up with an infected big toe. The infection was on the right side of my cuticle and on the second day I pushed on the area and puss came out from under my nail. I cleaned it and poured peroxide on it then triple antibiotic ointment and a bandage. It cleared up quickly and I forgot about it.

Two or three days ago I noticed that my toe is painful to bend and it aches. I don't know if it is related but could an infection have spread into the joint? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:42 pm

User avatar Yes, the infection can spread to the joint.
See a physician for evaluation and need for oral antibiotics.
Let us know how things turn out.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us