Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Question: Pain in Big Toe

juco11 - Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:10 pm

A few weeks ago I was visiting family in Florida where I of course spent several days taking walks barefooted on the beach. I ended up with an infected big toe. The infection was on the right side of my cuticle and on the second day I pushed on the area and puss came out from under my nail. I cleaned it and poured peroxide on it then triple antibiotic ointment and a bandage. It cleared up quickly and I forgot about it.

Two or three days ago I noticed that my toe is painful to bend and it aches. I don't know if it is related but could an infection have spread into the joint? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:42 pm

User avatar Yes, the infection can spread to the joint.
See a physician for evaluation and need for oral antibiotics.
Let us know how things turn out.