Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Chronic and increasing pain in left leg and left shoulder

 arauf - Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:44 pm

I am having pain in my left leg since 14 months now. It started when I lifted 20kg bag an year ago, It initially started basically in the pelvic region, with very painful menstrual cycles, then it spread to the left thigh, gradually to left hip as well. now i don't have any pelvic pain but for last 5 months it has spread to the left shoulder and severe chest pain. It is increasing with the passage of time. I consulted my doctor and have undergone pelvic ultrasound, and left scan, blood test, but the results were clear. Nowadays i am constantly having this pain, intensity varies though. it even hurts if left thigh and hip touches any surface, and sitting causes very severe pain. Chest pain seem like that caused by heart attack and is very intense. I was referred to physiotherapist who didnt seem to understand my problem after detailed examination. My doctor is confused and ask me to exercise, but its been a long time nothing seem to work with this pain. it is increasing and spreading continuously. Now i don't know who to consult for this problem? Should i go to rheumatology, pediatrics or neurology?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:54 pm

User avatar Some other testing and history may be helpful.

Regarding the chest pain, it is important to discuss with physician your risk of heat attack: age, blood pressure, diabetes, family history, smoker, weight, cholesterol level. Physician may order a stress test or echocardiogram.

Otherwise, may consider MRI of the pelvis and lumber spine...since the initial pain and injury was related to the lumbar spine or the pelvic area. In many ways, your condition sounds musculoskeletal in origin and related to the back issues.

Hip pain that is painful to touch reminds me of trochanteric bursitis. This would respond to NSAIDS, ice, and steroid injection if needed.

Family physician should be able to take care of initial testing, sorting through these things and referral as needed.

Keep us posted.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us