Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Question: High Rheumatoid Factor

dsulyma - Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:13 pm

Hello, Im new here and looking for some advice from the experts.

I had some routine bloodwork done by my doctor and the thing that came back high was my RA factor. The range was 0-14...mine was 14. Doctor suggested that I should repeat it in a few months. Now its 17, even higher. I had the following test done:

ANA: Normal
ACA: Normal
Sjogrens: Normal
ESR: Normal
CBC & WBC: All normal
Cholesterol: All normal

Ive also had an EMG for muscle twitches: Normal
The only thing that came back abnormal was my CRP: Slightly high (was on birth control) at the time.

My grandmother had sever Rheumatoid Arthritis in her hands. Does my RA factor level mean that I will have it too?

I am currently being evaluated for MS. Doctors feel I don't have it but MRI said "suggestion of demyelination but not specific"

What do you think if causing my high RA factor? Im only on vitamins no medication at all.

I understand that I have to see a rheumatologist to be fully evaluated but I do appreciate any insight.

Thank you!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:35 pm

Thank you for writing in.

What prompted the lab workup? Are you having hand or foot pain? RA is classified as a multiple small joint arthritic condition.

Rheumatoid factor, depending on age, can be found in up to 5-10% of a healthy population.

Use of anti-CCP provides equal sensitivity and better specificity than RF.

RA diagnosis will depend on symptoms and anti-CCP results.

Let us know how things turn out.