Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: High Rheumatoid Factor

dsulyma - Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:13 pm

Hello, Im new here and looking for some advice from the experts.

I had some routine bloodwork done by my doctor and the thing that came back high was my RA factor. The range was 0-14...mine was 14. Doctor suggested that I should repeat it in a few months. Now its 17, even higher. I had the following test done:

ANA: Normal
ACA: Normal
Sjogrens: Normal
ESR: Normal
CBC & WBC: All normal
Cholesterol: All normal

Ive also had an EMG for muscle twitches: Normal
The only thing that came back abnormal was my CRP: Slightly high (was on birth control) at the time.

My grandmother had sever Rheumatoid Arthritis in her hands. Does my RA factor level mean that I will have it too?

I am currently being evaluated for MS. Doctors feel I don't have it but MRI said "suggestion of demyelination but not specific"

What do you think if causing my high RA factor? Im only on vitamins no medication at all.

I understand that I have to see a rheumatologist to be fully evaluated but I do appreciate any insight.

Thank you!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:35 pm

User avatar Hello,
Thank you for writing in.

What prompted the lab workup? Are you having hand or foot pain? RA is classified as a multiple small joint arthritic condition.

Rheumatoid factor, depending on age, can be found in up to 5-10% of a healthy population.

Use of anti-CCP provides equal sensitivity and better specificity than RF.

RA diagnosis will depend on symptoms and anti-CCP results.

Let us know how things turn out.
Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us