Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Question: Sudden onset of right neck pain

SLPate - Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:01 am

I am a 43 WF in good health. In the past 6-8 months, I've had sudden onset of intense pain starting at the base of my right jaw radiating into my neck. The pain then radiates to behind my right breast and last for approximately 25 minutes. Once the intense pain subsides, there is a dull sensation throughtout that area but it is not dibiliatating. I presented to the ER once where my EKG & cardiac enzymes were normal. The only abnormality was a D-Dimer of 1.65. CT of chest, echocardiogram and ultrasound of gallbladder were all normal. I was given a diagnosis of pleurisy and costochronditis. I've had pleurisy in the past and know that they symptoms were not the same. What could be the differential diagnosis?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:03 am

I would include these two conditions (pleurisy and costochondritis) to be related to your symptoms as your doctor said, but I would add to them another two possibilities:

- Temporomandibuilar Joints dysfunction which gives symptoms like follows:
Headaches
Neck, shoulder, or back pain
Ear aches
Clenching teeth
Pain behind the eyes
Dizziness
Parasthesia of the fingers

- Spinal problems, that result in pinched nerve like arthritis, stenosis, or disc problems.