Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: 26 YR F w/ SLE, Sjogrens, Morphea, RA etc. SEVERE PAIN

 Aimin4strz - Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:15 pm

I have been fighting with these conditions for the last 16 years... Recently my SED and CRP are through the roof again... My hip is my biggest problem however my wrist is hurting bad... I take Lyrica and Imuran... It doesn't feel like muscle pain... It feels like bone or joint pain... I am wondering what the odds of a stress fracture are... I ended up with 2 stress fractures in my Right 5th Metatarsal and if feels like that kind of pain... Its been about 3 days... No other related symptoms... but stress fractures are hard to detect... Last time they did a three phase bone scan to find it and my Specialist from out of state ordered it... I have Osteopenia... and low calcium levels due to Vitamin D absorption issues...

Any help or ideas...

Thank you so much in advance... sorry just getting a little despirate here..
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed May 06, 2009 8:27 pm

User avatar Hello,
Osteopenia places you at higher risk for fracture. Xray is the starting point.
If no obvious fracture line, then treat conservatively. If pain persists then may consider bone scan but I would not choose that as my initial test.

You may also at some point repeat the dexa bone scan if it has been more than one year since last scan.

The RA and SLE may flare and cause joint so this is a consideration as well especially with elevated inflamatory markers and concurrent wrist pain.

For an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan for the hip see your family physician or rheumatologist.

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us