Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Question: shoulder blade pain

nat82 - Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:12 am

I suffer really bad shoulder blade pain especially between my left shoulder blade and my spine. The pain feels like I've been sitting up for hours and no matter what stretches I do the pain does not go away until I go to bed at night and fall asleep, which is sometimes quite hard due to the pain. I'm only 22 years old and noone else suffers the pain I get at my work and these ladies are alot older I don't feel like this is normal, PLEASE HELP.
 gforeman9 - Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:41 am

I have been suffering what seem to be very similar symptoms for almost a year now. I am 24, and have dealt with the same sort of frustrations you are describing. I sit at a desk all day, but so does everyone else in my office. So why am I suffering? I have been through several doctors, and my problem has been most recently diagnosed as being muscular in nature. I have basically been told that the muscles around my left shoulder blade are often tense and become fatigued, causing a joint in that area to kind of lock up and stop functioning. This causes a relatively low-level, but mostly constant pain. I can exercise and do just about everything physically, and this pain sometimes lessens after certain activities. At other times, especially towards the end of a work day, the pain flares up and is very uncomfortable. I am beginning to think that stress may be a significant factor in causing this, but I'm not sure.

nat82, have you had any luck in managing or eliminating your pain since your post? If anyone else has had similar issues or just has advice about my situation, please post your thoughts.
 Dr. P. M. Aries - Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:02 pm

User avatar Pain of the shoulder may have many reasons, but the symtoms you are describing might be due du a muscle dysbalance. If something warm on your shoulder, a warm bath or somethinmg relaxing like a massage is helpfull, you might benefit from practicing in the gym under supervision to strength the chest and the shoulder girdle. If this is not helpfull, I would suggest to attend a orthopedian.