Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Bakers Cyst

 windymiller - Fri May 22, 2009 4:18 pm

I had a Bakers Cyst removed from behind my right knee 16 years ago. This reapeared couple of years later since op and have had it since. I was advised by doctor that if it gave any problems I was to have it removed again but I have had any problems atall.

However,, recently Ive been noticing a strange dull pins and needles below the knee on this leg.. Im now wondering if this has anything to do with the Cyst??

I did visit the local GP and he suggested taking my wallet out from my rear trouser pocket while driving, trapping a nerve,, it would not be anything to do with the cyst. Im not conviced!!

Hope someone can help?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:25 am

User avatar Hello,
The wallet in the pocket suggestion is made under the suspicion of the sciatic nerve being pinched in the buttock. It is a classic recommendation to anyone who demonstrates some type or radiating pain or paresthesia (numbness and tingling).

If the sensation is localized to the knee and doesn't seem to radiate in a linear pattern along the leg, it may be caused from a local knee problem.

Baker's cyst often indicate a problem with the internal structures of the knee. If the internal structures are damaged and not fixed but cause swelling (leading to Bakers cyst), then the cyst will return.

My recommendation would be to assess the internal structures of the affected knee with a complete history and physical from your physician or an orthopedist.

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us