Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: ANA 1:40 Speckled, Problems Swallowing, Shortness of Breath?

LAT37 - Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:05 pm

Hi-
I am a 33 year old female with a history of neurologic symptoms (Basilar Migraine, ataxia, anisocoria, numbness.) Lately, however, have had the following symptoms which seem to be unrelated:
Difficulty swallowing
Weight loss (from 126 to 110 in 6 weeks)
Shortness of breath (severe)
Fatigue/weakness
Raynaud's Syndrome (rarely, but always in the toes.)

Recent bloodwork showed the following:
ANA Positive, 1:40, speckled, RH neg, Sed rate: 2.

Is this worth pursuing as a possibility of an auto-immune related disorder? I would very much appreciate any advice you could give on this matter. Thanks so much.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:21 pm

User avatar Hello,
Systemic sclerosis can cause problems with swallowing, weight loss, respiratory difficulties and Raynaud's.
So yes, it is worth a more in depth evaluation including antibody testing through the rheumatologist.

Take care.
 LAT37 - Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:04 pm

Thanks so much for the reply. My GP stated that 1:40 is not significant, which I understand is usual, but in the face of the other symptoms I'll follow up with a rheumatologist.
Thanks again!
 LAT37 - Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:23 am

Update:
Rheumatologist found a high positive for Sjogrens.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us