Question: pain in hands

two hands - Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:30 pm

I have pain in both hands, not specific to my joints. There is no swelling. This has been going on for some years, with the pain increasing incrementally. I can still grip things and have normal strength.
I was recently given a topical anti-inflammatory for some unrelated and so far undiagnosed neck pain (may be arthritis).
I decided to use the medication on my hands and the pain is greatly reduced. Does this indicate arthritis in my hands?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:49 pm

Arthritis is a general term meaning inflammation of a joint. Since local anti-inflammatory medical relieved symptoms, the pain is either from arthritis or tendinitis.
To me, this sounds more like arthritis than tendinitis.
If multiple small joints in the hands and the feet start to ache, do rheumatoid arthritis testing.
In the least, have a set of hand x-rays taken and a visit with your family physician for a clinical assessment. At this point topical NSAID cream should suffice for treatment.