Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Shin Splints?

 sorras - Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:01 am

I've recently started doing some light jogging 2 days a week and have been fine until day 3. I've come to the conclusion that I may have shin splints. I have tenderness when I touch the inside of my shin and when I walk it tends to ache and is quite painful. I have noticed though that if I press firmly enough I also have fluid retention. Should I go and get a check up?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:54 pm

User avatar Hello,
This is probably shin splints.
Ice, rest, and compression and NSAIDs are primary treatments.
Also, focus on strengthening and stretching lower extremities.
There are some braces on the market specifically for shin splints.

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us