Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Prolonged Gout Attack - Diclofenac?

ValLonUK - Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:46 pm

I have had a gout attack for 6 weeks now (I seem to have on average one attack a year lasting about a month). In the first two weeks I took Diclofenac (as prescribed by a doctor). It did reduce the swelling and definitely helped but unfortunately the attack still continues. In the last few weeks the gout/inflammation seems to be moving from joint to joint (foot), revisiting some joints but mostly not in two places at the same time. I'm away from home so cannot see a doctor or rheumatologist to discuss long term treatment plans for another few months at least. I am also being extremely careful with my diet at the moment (watching purines and fructose intake).

My first question is - is it ok to take Diclofenac for another 2 weeks or so in the hopes that the swelling will go down again (this particular attack has lasted quite a while now and I am frustrated at not being mobile). I want to check this as I understand NSAID's should not be taken for prolonged periods, but I am not sure what constitutes a "prolonged" period.

My second question is - I have read Diclofenac is an anti-uricosuric ... therefore is this not something I should be avoiding considering my history of gout? Should I be using another NSAID rather? Although I understand Diclofenac is one of the most commonly prescribed NSAID for gout?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:00 am

User avatar Hi,
You are right in saying that Diclofenac is an anti-uricosuric drug.
The treatment of choice for acute gout is indomethacin+a glucocorticoid. Colchicin in lower doses has been found to be beneficial in multiple acute episodes of gouty arthritis.

However, there are other NSAIDS which have a uricosuric action, such as......
- Tiaprofenic acid and
- Diflunisal.

It is advisable that you should consult your doctor before using any drug or changing over to another drug.
Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us