Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Question: Hand and Arm numbness

tbonach - Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:05 am

I am a landscaper. At the beginning of the season, my right hand hurt a lot and in the mornings, I couldn't grip my toothbrush it hurt so bad - after a while, this bad pain went away, but I am experiencing numbness all the way up my arm and hand while I sleep now. I am also a cyclist and frequently have to shake my hand out from becoming numb while riding. When I work, my arm and hand are fine - it's usually the night of or the next day that my hand is swollen and I can't make a fist. I had a physical therapist look at it and she said it was not CTS - it didn't hurt tapping on my wrist, etc. I now have a little pearl-sized bump that has developed in my right wrist below my thumb. It is not painful, however. The physical therapist didn't say anything about it. She said I needed to work on strengthening my lower back to take pressure off of my arm...??? I may well need to be stronger there, but it just doesn't seem like this is the culprit. I am physically fit, a triathlete and have never had any other arm problems. Do I see a "arm" specialist, surgeon, who? Not sure what to do.
 mahliuqe - Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:42 pm

I'am a 33 yr old woman who eats well and works out 3 days per week, I'am a non smoker. I'am on no medications except for the birthcontrol pill...diane 21.
For the past year or so I have experienced chest pain when stressed out.
Everytime I get on my treadmill (for approximately) 45 minutes my left hand feels like pins and needles and it swells. My left foot as well.

Today I didn't work out and my left hand feels swollen but it's not as well my pinky finger feels numb, so does my left foot as well I have some tingling there.
what the heck could this be????