Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Hand, feet, back pain

 pita - Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:57 am

I am a 33 year old female & I am in contast pain. I have pain in between my shoulder blades, lower back, both hands & wrists, ankles (I can't see my ankles anymore because they are so swollen) & feet. I have more but they are not as extreme as the others I mentioned. When I lay down, my hands go numb. Not asleep, just numb. I am stiff in mornings but after working all day, as soon as I get home & sit for a few minutes, I seize up again. I have been tested for rheumitiod arthritis & that came back negetive, my husband suggests its all in my head! Please help!!
 Jackie E. Pool, LPN - Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:42 pm

User avatar You say you have been tested for RA, but you do not mention any other testing. I need more information before I make any suggestions. What specialty doctors have you seen?
 pita - Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:49 am

I have not been tested for anything else, and have not seen any other doctor other then my family doctor. She has to refer me to another doctor/specialist before I can see someone else but she doesn't seem to want to rush to find out what is wrong with me, this is just the feeling I get since I have not been checked for anything else now. Just told to deal the best I can, which is becoming increalingly more difficult each day.
 Jackie E. Pool, LPN - Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:14 pm

User avatar I would ask that you make an appointment with a Rheumatologist. Your list of signs and symptoms suggest further testing is needed.
There are many syndromes that could cause your problems.

Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us