Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Aching arms

Suze - Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:09 pm

Can anyone please tell me why my arms ache for around a week after a long haul flight (no jokes please - this is serious!!). I take 13-14 hour flights approximately five times a year and afterwards my arms are killing me. Coupled with the jet lag it really gets me down as it wakes me up at night. I am an active person and walk a lot and run at the gym so I don't think that lack of exercise is an issue. Any clues?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:37 pm

User avatar Suze,
A few questions: Where is the pain situated or at least most pronounced? What type of neuralgia did your mother have exactly?
 Suze - Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:36 am

Around the elbow and forearm area. My mother actually has Polymyalgia Rheumatica. I am also suffering neck problems from damaging the muscles that run from my head to my neck after lifting a heavy object, sorry neglected to tell you this.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:54 am

User avatar Suze,
You've already established the cause of the neck pain. If you haven't been examined by a rheumatologist then you should. You may also need to perform a CAT scan or MRI to assess the problem. Treatment will mostly be composed of various physiotherapy techniques.
Regarding your arm ache, I would like you to read this information about ulnar palsy (especially Cubital Canal Syndrome) and tell me if that sounds similar to your complaint.

Click here!

Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us