Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: bursitis

 richard petak - Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:18 pm

I was diagnosed with bursitis 2 weeks ago, since then my elbow has a large hard knot on it and is still painful. does anyone know what this could be?
 Dr. Russell M - Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:42 pm

User avatar Hello Petak!

Since you have already been diagnosed with bursitis, I wouldn't worry about the knot, which could be the sign of your diagnosis. Olecranon (name of an elbow bone) bursitis most classically presents as a posterior elbow swelling that is very clearly demarcated, appearing as a goose egg over the olecranon process (the bone at the tip of the elbow).

Treatments include medicine, surgery, and physical therapy depending on the response. RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation) is recommended.

I hope this helps.

- Bill

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us