Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Lingering Hamstring Pain from Cramp

chickamunk - Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:35 pm

:oops: this is my first post, please bear with me...

Last Tuesday evening upon exiting my car, I felt a cramp in the back of my left thigh halfway between groin and knee(I think the seat was pulled far too close to the steering wheel...I am a new and very nervous driver at night due to partial blindness). The pain was similar to a calf cramp. Twice during the night I awoke with severe cramps in my left calf. During the day Wednesday my left leg and foot would begin to spasm in different places.
When I awoke on Thursday morning my big toe was sore, and I had a numb sensation in my left foot arch. Living behind a rural hospital I decided to have this looked into. I was sent immediatly for a doplar ultrasound of my entire leg, which determined that I did not have a blood clot. The doctor perscriped massage therapy.
I had my first session of massage therapy on Saturday, the therapist advised me that I would suffer some pain, especially in the siatica nerve. I have felt definate pain within my leg, today I have pain in the rear of the thigh (localized to the initial pain site from last week). I have been taking daily epsom salt baths.
I should mention I do have a desk job, and foolishly thought my leg was better and was running with my puppy two evenings ago. I have just started taking calcium supplements, as the doctor suggested this may have been the cause of initial cramping (I am lactose intolerant).

Any thoughts are appreciated as to what I can do to get myself back to normal. I am a fairly active person, and this "taking it easy" thing is so hard to do!
 Dr. Russell M - Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:37 pm

User avatar Hi!

Now that you are already on Calcium and Epsom salt baths, some magnesium supplements or food rich in magnesium like banana and soya bean might help. Vitamin E may also help, as would stretch exercises.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

- Bill
 chickamunk - Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:30 am

Thank you for your response. I believe the vitamin supplements are working. The cramping and pain have subsided, and now only a minor weakness is felt. I will try your food suggestions, I have certianly learned my lesson about eating healthy!

Thank you!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us