Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Question: Lingering Hamstring Pain from Cramp

chickamunk - Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:35 pm

:oops: this is my first post, please bear with me...

Last Tuesday evening upon exiting my car, I felt a cramp in the back of my left thigh halfway between groin and knee(I think the seat was pulled far too close to the steering wheel...I am a new and very nervous driver at night due to partial blindness). The pain was similar to a calf cramp. Twice during the night I awoke with severe cramps in my left calf. During the day Wednesday my left leg and foot would begin to spasm in different places.
When I awoke on Thursday morning my big toe was sore, and I had a numb sensation in my left foot arch. Living behind a rural hospital I decided to have this looked into. I was sent immediatly for a doplar ultrasound of my entire leg, which determined that I did not have a blood clot. The doctor perscriped massage therapy.
I had my first session of massage therapy on Saturday, the therapist advised me that I would suffer some pain, especially in the siatica nerve. I have felt definate pain within my leg, today I have pain in the rear of the thigh (localized to the initial pain site from last week). I have been taking daily epsom salt baths.
I should mention I do have a desk job, and foolishly thought my leg was better and was running with my puppy two evenings ago. I have just started taking calcium supplements, as the doctor suggested this may have been the cause of initial cramping (I am lactose intolerant).

Any thoughts are appreciated as to what I can do to get myself back to normal. I am a fairly active person, and this "taking it easy" thing is so hard to do!
 Dr. Russell M - Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:37 pm

User avatar Hi!

Now that you are already on Calcium and Epsom salt baths, some magnesium supplements or food rich in magnesium like banana and soya bean might help. Vitamin E may also help, as would stretch exercises.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

- Bill
 chickamunk - Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:30 am

Thank you for your response. I believe the vitamin supplements are working. The cramping and pain have subsided, and now only a minor weakness is felt. I will try your food suggestions, I have certianly learned my lesson about eating healthy!

Thank you!