Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Rheumatoid Arthritis

 medint - Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:28 pm

My fiance's father has severe rheumatoid arthritis, but cannot afford the monthly shots that were prescribed to him. Is there any other way to help reduce the pain?
 nurodude - Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:44 pm

First, you didn't mention what "shot" he is taking. It could be liquid methotrexate, Enbrel or Humira. If either of the latter two, then I understand because they can cost as much as $15,000 a year out-of-pocket. If it is methotrexate then iit isn't that expensive. If it is one of the expensive ones, he can ask his doctor to contact the drug rep for papers to fill out to see if he can get it free. They do have programs like it, but you have to meet income requirements.

Dr. C

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us