Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Question: Rheumatoid Arthritis

medint - Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:28 pm

My fiance's father has severe rheumatoid arthritis, but cannot afford the monthly shots that were prescribed to him. Is there any other way to help reduce the pain?
 nurodude - Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:44 pm

First, you didn't mention what "shot" he is taking. It could be liquid methotrexate, Enbrel or Humira. If either of the latter two, then I understand because they can cost as much as $15,000 a year out-of-pocket. If it is methotrexate then iit isn't that expensive. If it is one of the expensive ones, he can ask his doctor to contact the drug rep for papers to fill out to see if he can get it free. They do have programs like it, but you have to meet income requirements.

Dr. C