Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Migrating Back Pain

 oman - Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:12 pm

I am 50 years old and very athletic. I have been experiencing lower back pain for about a month. I can not remember a "pull" or an event to which to attribute a possible injury. My pain worsens when trying to sleep and hurts most when first getting out of bed or standing up and trying to straighten the back. I can not sleep the whole night and I must change my sleeping posture several times a night from one side to the other to be comfortable. After a few seconds of standing, after "things seem to be more in alignment", the pain subsides into a dull pain in the lower back. After standing up and starting to walk I have pain in trying to straighten the back but after a few steps the pain lessens and I can walk upright. Exercise makes the pain lessen and actually sometimes causes it to go away completely. The pain returns soon after rest whither sitting or sleeping. Sometimes the pain seems to be on the right lower back and sometimes the left.
I may be mistaken but sometimes it seems there may be a little different sensation when I urinate. Not necessary painfull but maybe a little burn. Sometimes I may feel a little discomfort in my testicals. I recently had a vascectomy so perhaps these are symptoms of it. My urine is not bright colored. Having a bowel movement seems to lessen the pain temporarily.
 nurodude - Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:58 pm


I would strongly recommend you see your doctor for evaluation and possible referral to an orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon for evaluation. Although you describe paraspinal muscle spasms, the possible association of altered bowel and bladder movements is very serious. You did not mention if you get any radiation of your pain down your legs. I would also suggest you cease exercising until you find out the problem or possibly injure yourself seriously.

Dr. C

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us