Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: leg pain.please reply someone!!!

 momofRN - Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:10 pm

I have been experiencing leg pain for approx. 6-9 months. I also have some discomfort and weakness in my arms. My muscles do not cramp, but rather ache. It is hard to rise from a sitting position and it is uncomfortable going up and down stairs. My recent blood tests have shown no irregularity in my muscle enzymes and my potasium levels are good. My white blood cell count has come back slightly higher than it should and my sed rate was 26. I am taking several different medications for high blood pressure, acid reflux disease and high cholesterol.
I am 52 years old and my doctor thinks it is more of a muscle issue than joint related. However, he is uncertain as to what this could be.Any advise would be appreciated since this has been going on for a long time without relief.
 Bernadette - Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:54 pm

You did not say what type of doctor you saw,but if it was not a rheumatologist,you really should see one.Yes,it does ound like it could be more of a muscle rather than joint problem.The rheumatologist would evaluatefor problems like polymyalgia rheumatica,which would cause muscle pain.There are other conditions which cause muscle pain such as fibromyalgia.The rheumatologist is the specialist who can make the diagnosis you need.Be sure to bring a copy of your blood tests to him/her.
 momofRN - Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:39 pm

Thanks Bernadette of NJ,
I am not seeing a rheumatologist at this time, but a GP. I will definately check into your suggestions.
 bob4242 - Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:36 pm

Hi there,

A bit of a long shot, but I found this page through Google and might as well try. I'm experiencing similar symptoms to you, momofRN, and would be very interested to hear if you found any diagnoses or successful treatments. Please do reply if you somehow see this!


 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed May 06, 2009 9:33 pm

User avatar Hello,
I would consider doing neurological test in the office (reflexes, senstation, strength, gait and imbalance) and EMG and/or NCV.
Regarding the muscles themselves, muscle biopsy is another option for diagnosis.

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us