Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Degenerative Meniscus not sport related

CJ - Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:37 pm

Hello,

I recently had a MRI had was told I have a lateral degenerative meniscus. I am currently under county hospital care due to losing my job from difficulty walking and as grateful as I am for the treatment I have yet to get a possible cause from a MD. I am in my mid twenties and have had horrible back problems since I can recall, which recently include numbness in between my shoulders and numbness in my right fingers. I injured my right knee about two years ago and had sharp pain in the back of it (center only) with the snapping and after a few months it appeared to fine. So here I am two years later with a knee that has landed me in ER three times in addition to right knee trouble my shoulders, ankles, and left knee seem to crack/snap more each day. Now I can understand "bones" may make noises but this is all accompanied by severe a pain that lasts for hours, unlike any I have know. I have tried all treatment for my back trouble and now with the MRI results I am very concerned the cause is something more serious. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, CJ
 Dr. Russell M - Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:29 am

User avatar Hi!

Have you discussed with the orthopedician regarding your ailment? What is your assessment of your own situation? What is your major concern now? How can I help you?
 CJ - Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:54 am

Hello, Thanks for responding. I have tried to speak w/ the doctors I have seen however @ USC County Hospital even w/ an appointment I usually wait 6-8 hours, the doctors there are very busy and everytime I attempt to discuss concerns or other symptoms I get a "confused stare" from them. Symptoms to me appear as an early on set of Osteoarthritis. My concerns are my legs, the days I cant walk terrify me. As sad as it sounds the pain I am use to, although I would give just about anything to have one week go by w/o vomiting from pain caused by neck/headaches. If I continue at this rate where will I be ten years from now? Once again thanks, much appreciated
 Dr. Russell M - Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:18 pm

User avatar Hi!

Since this has been an ongoing problem, I would suggest you maintain a symptom note book, to detail all your problems daily. By the time of each visit to your doctor, show him/her your worst and best days passed. This can help tailor your medications to suit your lifestyle. 10 years from now, anything can happen. A well-built, healthy guy can get into an automobile accident and become quadriplegic forever, 10 years from now. You might be seen to walk around comfortably with improvement in science bringing about a cure to your problems, 10 years from now. But, until then, let's take one day at a time.

Are you on any medications now?

-bill

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us