Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Needing Surgery

Kacheri - Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:25 pm

2 months ago I went to the ER with a kidney stone. Come to find out I had several calcium stones one of which was 7mm. I was sent home with meds and told to consult a surgeon. The surgeon said I needed lithrotripsy and since I don't have insurance it would cost over $2000.00. I don't have that kind of money so I went to the local Univeristy for help. They too agreed that I needed surgery and then asked if I had insurance. They sent me home with anitbiotics and said they would call me when they had a surgery date for me. I am still waiting. I have passed the smaller stones and missed a month and half of work but still having pain and misery on my right side. With a CT and IVP my 7mm stone still only partialy blocked and my kidney is swollen. I have been to two ER's 3 times since and with the test done found that the 7mm stone hasn't moved much. My question is, how much more do I have to endure? I have gone to every avenue I can think of to get this stone removed. I don't know what else I can do or where else I can go. Can you help me?
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:04 pm

User avatar If you go to a county hospital you cannot be refused service. Even without insurance. You will be billed for the surgery, which you can make small monthly payments to. They will accept 5 dollars a month if that is all you have.

Kacheri - Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:06 am

I did and they just gave me meds and sent me home. They say there is nothing else they can do unless I am totally blocked.