Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Needing Surgery

Kacheri - Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:25 pm

2 months ago I went to the ER with a kidney stone. Come to find out I had several calcium stones one of which was 7mm. I was sent home with meds and told to consult a surgeon. The surgeon said I needed lithrotripsy and since I don't have insurance it would cost over $2000.00. I don't have that kind of money so I went to the local Univeristy for help. They too agreed that I needed surgery and then asked if I had insurance. They sent me home with anitbiotics and said they would call me when they had a surgery date for me. I am still waiting. I have passed the smaller stones and missed a month and half of work but still having pain and misery on my right side. With a CT and IVP my 7mm stone still only partialy blocked and my kidney is swollen. I have been to two ER's 3 times since and with the test done found that the 7mm stone hasn't moved much. My question is, how much more do I have to endure? I have gone to every avenue I can think of to get this stone removed. I don't know what else I can do or where else I can go. Can you help me?
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:04 pm

User avatar If you go to a county hospital you cannot be refused service. Even without insurance. You will be billed for the surgery, which you can make small monthly payments to. They will accept 5 dollars a month if that is all you have.

Good luck.
 Kacheri - Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:06 am

I did and they just gave me meds and sent me home. They say there is nothing else they can do unless I am totally blocked.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us