Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Hernia and Ab Exercises

chip21 - Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:38 pm

I am a 31 yr old female who just gave birth to 2nd child 6 mos. ago. I am in good physical condition & exercise regularly. I am also at my pre-pregnancy weight. I have recently been diagnosed with a small umblicial hernia with abdominal separation. Is it still safe for me to continue with ab exercises with these two conditions? The dr. does not feel that I need surgery at this time but I obviously do not want to make conditions worse. Thank you for any input you can provide
 Dr. M. Mavru - Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:56 am

User avatar Dear chip21
Any condition that rises intra abdominal pressure (you mentioned just two of them) makes you prone to develop hernias.
On the other hand exercise is good for increasing muscle tonus which is great in the postpartum (after pregnancy) period.
As a simple rule, if it does not hurt, it does not harm you.