Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Lump on top of head

 sfields - Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:11 pm

I am a 30 yr old male. I have a lump on the top of my head. I have had it for atleast 10+ years. It use to be the size of maybe a gumball, was hard, and could move around fairly easily with no pain. In the last few weeks I have noticed that it has begin to swell and has beginning to hurt as well. I thought that maybe it was like a pimple and actualy tried to punture it with a needle a couple days ago because it hurts so much from the preasure. There was no fliud and very little blood that came out. This concerns me because I have had small wounds on my head that guss blood. I also have headaches when I try to brush my hair, wear a hat, or even when the wind is blowing my hair. I do have slight blured vision at times in one of my eyes at a time, but this has been going on for almost a year. I do not have insurance or very much money to see a doctor. I am hopeing this is not a brain tumer because I don't know much about them. My family does not have any history of this but do have a history of diabeties and cancer. Please got back to me as soon as posiable. Thank you!
 Dr. Tino Anthony Solomon - Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:21 am

Hello there,

Please provide us with more information about the lump. In order to try and identify it, you should describe its size, shape, surface contours, consistency, colour, duration of appearance, change in size and appearance anywhere else on your body. Please also give further details about you medical history. If possible a picture of the lump would be ideal as the differential can be enormous.

Kind Regards,

Tino Solomon
BSc(Hons) MBBS
Senior House Officer in Surgery

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us