Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Rectal prolapse and accidents!

snowdrop - Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:11 pm

Hi, I'm a 53 yr old female with an embarrassing problem! When I delivered my son 17 yrs ago I sustained a 4th degree tear requiring a lot of stitches etc. I'm having major problems now (the fun of growing older!) with a rectocele and rectal prolapse and am now getting a lot of stool incontinence to the point where I tend to stay home most of the time. I saw a colo-rectal surgeon in Vancouver (Canada) 2 yrs ago who advised I'd need 2 separate surgeries to repair the problem. To complicate things I have IBS-diarrhea. I'm really hesitant to have 2 major surgeries but have tried pelvic floor physio etc and I guess there's not much else left. My quesion is, with this type of surgery how long does it take to recover and what to expect in the immediate post-op period and how successful are the surgical repairs? It was suggested that sometimes over time the problem can recur.
Thanks much!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:05 am

User avatar Hi snowdrop,
Based on the information that you have provided, I am not exactly clearly understanding why two separate surgeries would be required. Here is an informative link regarding rectal prolapse repair procedures. Click here!
I sincerely hope you are doing well.