Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Arnold-Chiari Malformation complication

cristi_t - Mon May 17, 2004 1:49 pm

Hi,

Someone I knew had Arnold-Chiari malformation. He had surgery, then he died 18 days later. Doctors say it developed (viral) meningitis as a post-operatory complication.
We are trying to find out what happened, maybe someone is kind enough to give his/hers opinion, based on the information I give below.
I also included a link to his MRI scans.

Here is some information:

Diagnostic: Arnold-Chiary Malformation II, with hydrosyringo-myelia.
Sympthomps: Numbness of all left side of the body, hiccups, neck stiffness.

Surgery on April 1st 2004.

Post operatory conditions:

While in hospital, he had neck stiffness, strong headaches, very little remedy of numbness, temperature 38.3C.
April 9th: Externated.
April 11th: Seemed well (walked, ate), then temprorary left side paralysis. The next day, all of left side was paralized, involutary right hand movements, hiccups.
April 13th: Developed coma I.
April 15th: Developed coma IV with cardiac arrest. He was resuscitated.
April 18th: Brain death.

Here is a link to some of the MRI scans given to us by the doctors. The scans are from after the surgery.

http://www.medicalinfo.ro/info-mri/index.html

I am posting this hoping to get a cleared ideea to why this happened, any opinion is highly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Cristian Tota
 Dr. Russell M - Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:27 am

User avatar Hi!

I am sorry to be discussing posthumously regarding this disease. I am not a neurosurgeon, and hence can only discuss on what I have read. I am sure the doctors who did surgery on this patient would have had extensive discussions with you/kin regarding the disease prognosis, morbidity, and mortality in syringomyelia.

Postoperative infection is a surgical complication, which could underlie the worsening of the patient's condition. In a well-established neurosurgical unit, the incidence of infection as a surgical complication should be minimal.

Hope this helps.

bill

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us