Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: questions regarding ulnar nerve surgery at the elbow

toban - Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:51 pm

I just saw the hand surgeon today and will require surgery for my ulnar nerve at the elbow. Phone me with a date, within the next three months. Day surgery. He said I will need to wear a drainage tube for a few days but I forgot to ask some questions. I imagine he means a drainage tube at the site of the incision? What is it used for? He said it would be removed after a few days. Is this something I would remove or the doctor?
 gt1924 - Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:23 pm

I'm not a doctor or a nurse but i think the drainage tube is used to collect any blood or fluids that would collect under the skin if not there after your surgery, it seems to be a very common thing after a lot of surgeries. I would think that the doctor would be the one taking the drainage tube out for you. Good Luck.
 toban - Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:49 pm

Thank you for your reply. Sounds like that is what the drainage tube is used for.
 toban - Mon May 01, 2006 10:31 am

Thanks! I had my surgery and the surgeon removed the drainage tube two days later. It is used to drain excess blood/fluids to keep the swelling down.