Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: questions regarding ulnar nerve surgery at the elbow

toban - Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:51 pm

I just saw the hand surgeon today and will require surgery for my ulnar nerve at the elbow. Phone me with a date, within the next three months. Day surgery. He said I will need to wear a drainage tube for a few days but I forgot to ask some questions. I imagine he means a drainage tube at the site of the incision? What is it used for? He said it would be removed after a few days. Is this something I would remove or the doctor?
 gt1924 - Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:23 pm

I'm not a doctor or a nurse but i think the drainage tube is used to collect any blood or fluids that would collect under the skin if not there after your surgery, it seems to be a very common thing after a lot of surgeries. I would think that the doctor would be the one taking the drainage tube out for you. Good Luck.
 toban - Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:49 pm

Thank you for your reply. Sounds like that is what the drainage tube is used for.
 toban - Mon May 01, 2006 10:31 am

Thanks! I had my surgery and the surgeon removed the drainage tube two days later. It is used to drain excess blood/fluids to keep the swelling down.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us