Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Could it be hemorrhoids?

david7 - Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:15 pm

Hi. I'm only 18, so it seems unlikely that i would get hemorrhoids. However, I do have mild IBS so multiple bowels movements and straining may have been a cause.

I have a single lump, or a bubble rather, that is very small (maybe 5 mm in diameter) which has been on my anus (right at the opening) for approximately 2 years. It is only sometime apparent because th erest of the time I believe it is inside my anus. It does not itch or give me any pain. I do experience pain in my anus after a few bowel movements in a row or diarrhea, however I am not certain whether this is the bubble that is paining me or something else. I also have pain wiping my anus occasionally, once again after multiple bowel movements.

Is this a hemorrhoid? If yes, is there anything I can do to get rid of it completely short of surgery? If I have anal sex, can I expect pain because of this hemorrhoid? I have begun to drink more water and eat more fiber (because of my IBS) and I have heard this will help ease my bowel movements, correct?

I'm worried and confused, so any opinions and suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.[/b]
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:34 pm

User avatar You should have it examined. It could be a hemorroid because you have a history of straining during defication. It could also be a genital wart or part of the disease process from your inflammatory bowel disease. These are just suggestions but there will be no substitute for direct physical examination.
 david7 - Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:37 pm

Thank you for your counsel.

However I have a further question. If it is a hemorrhoid, and given it stays its present size and low level of irritation, will I be able to have anal sex without extreme pain of irritation, bleeding, etc? I've never had anal sex before so any guess would be extremely helpful.