Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Could it be hemorrhoids?

david7 - Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:15 pm

Hi. I'm only 18, so it seems unlikely that i would get hemorrhoids. However, I do have mild IBS so multiple bowels movements and straining may have been a cause.

I have a single lump, or a bubble rather, that is very small (maybe 5 mm in diameter) which has been on my anus (right at the opening) for approximately 2 years. It is only sometime apparent because th erest of the time I believe it is inside my anus. It does not itch or give me any pain. I do experience pain in my anus after a few bowel movements in a row or diarrhea, however I am not certain whether this is the bubble that is paining me or something else. I also have pain wiping my anus occasionally, once again after multiple bowel movements.

Is this a hemorrhoid? If yes, is there anything I can do to get rid of it completely short of surgery? If I have anal sex, can I expect pain because of this hemorrhoid? I have begun to drink more water and eat more fiber (because of my IBS) and I have heard this will help ease my bowel movements, correct?

I'm worried and confused, so any opinions and suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.[/b]
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:34 pm

User avatar You should have it examined. It could be a hemorroid because you have a history of straining during defication. It could also be a genital wart or part of the disease process from your inflammatory bowel disease. These are just suggestions but there will be no substitute for direct physical examination.
 david7 - Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:37 pm

Thank you for your counsel.

However I have a further question. If it is a hemorrhoid, and given it stays its present size and low level of irritation, will I be able to have anal sex without extreme pain of irritation, bleeding, etc? I've never had anal sex before so any guess would be extremely helpful.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us