Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: lung transplants

 Babygurl21 - Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:05 pm

iam 21 year old female, and iam looking to get my mum a lung transplant. She has one left, and she has asthma and emphazema. I am worried, because she recently had an asthma attack, and now she is writting her will. I want to do a funraiser to get her a new lung, or 2, but i need info on the lung transplant, how she can qualify, and prices. Im finding it hard to talk to a real doctor about it, and finding a doctor to do the surgery here in winnipeg, manitoba. can you please help?? I don't know where to start
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:02 pm

User avatar I'm less familiar with your health care system so I can't really give you any specifics.

Basically, the doctor that would perform the surgery is a cardiothoracic surgeon. The transplant is generally done only when the current lung condition is causing severe limitations to life AND the cause of the original bad lungs is not one that will continue on to damage the new lungs quickly (a surgeon may be willing to transplant someone who has a condition that will damage the lungs very, very slowly but that it very much surgeon dependent).

Following the surgery, antirejection medicines will need to be taken.

My best advise is to try to find a surgeon that does this surgery to meet with. The evaluation process is extensive, generally, so you may also want to talk with your regular doctor about starting the process.

Best wishes. I hope this helps a little.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us