Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: pain under ear - salivary gland?

 library-girl - Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:04 pm

I'm a 33 year old female with no medical problems (past or present). The only medication I take is birth control pills.

For many years I have had recurring pain in my jaw/under-ear area. It used to be painful when I would start to eat (but not all of the time -- not sure why it would be inconsistent?) but in the past few years it's not only more painful when these "episodes" occur but it seems to subside much more slowly. When it's acting up it also hurts to press on that area and when I turn my head I can feel it -- like it might be swollen. I find that I even have started to compensate for it, like not leaning over the sink too far when I brush my teeth because that makes my ear/jaw/lower-cheek hurt. Sometimes it's one side or the other, rarely both at one time.

I keep looking around on the internet to figure out what it is and the closest thing that matches my symptoms is salivary gland stones. I am no doctor thought and could be totally off base.

If indeed that's what it is, do I have to get them treated? Do you think it is something else? I can handle the painful part of it and unless I am leading up to a big problem I'd rather not have to have some scary medical procedure done to fix it. But I don't want to end up with something worse down the line!

Any advice will be appreciated.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:01 pm

User avatar Have you been evaluated for TMJ? (Temporo-Mandibular Joint)

Ear Nose and Throat doctor would be advisable to visit.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us