Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Umbellical hernia returned~in more pain!

jennafisch - Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:02 pm

HI Im a female age 21 and 2 months ago I had an umbellical hernia repair. It was fixed by stitches only, no patch, the doctor said it would be best this way in case I decided to have another child. Anyway, at about a month and a half post surgery I began to feel pain in the area of the hernia and about a week later, it was popped out and I can now push it back in, so I know it has returned. My appointment has been cancelled by the doctors office the past 2 times and I told them I was having pain and asked to see another doctor in the office and the secretary said I was unable to. It hurts over 50% of the time, I cant vacuum or carry a basket of laundry without a ton of pain, it hurts worse than it did before surgery and I thought that was bad.Now, as of yesterday it is very painful and also hurts in a different spot as well as the original and I believe I may have developed a 2nd hernia.
Anyway, I guess my questions are: should I let this same doctor fix it again and should I request that a patch be put in? If she does fix it again should I request it be done with no fees or lessened fees (I have no insurance)? Should I get a second opinion and have a new doctor fix it? Could the original hernia breaking back open cause a second one to occur or is it just scar tissue causing all the extra pain?

Oh yeah, and I even had to basically beg this doctor to keep me on restrictions so I wouldnt have to lift patients at work, so obviously I didnt break it open from over exerting myself. Please help me I don't know what to do and its stressing my out not being able to do anything without pain. My NEW appointment is in 2 days...that is unless it is cancel for a third time!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:52 pm

User avatar Hi Jennafisch,

Unfortunately hernias can recur. I am not a surgeon so I cannot comment on the appropriateness of correcting a hernia with or without a patch. Larger hernias generally require a patch; however, I cannot say for sure about smaller ones.

It is important you feel comfortable with your doctor. It is reasonable to follow up with your current surgeon or get a second opinion.

I would recommend you be seen soon. Pain associated with hernias may be restricting blood flow to the intestines which could cause severe problems.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us