Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: muscular atrophy following dog bite

robertavila - Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:13 pm

I am a 38 yo male. I have had 15 broken bones (all more than 20 years ago.) I never take drugs of any sort, except presc. steroids when needed. I have never had a surgery.

About 2 months ago, I was bitten on the left leg by a dog. The bite was a 'crush', not tearing my jeans, but left several teeth marks. the deepest mark failed to heal for several weeks.

This deep mark was initially about one-half inch long. The area below it was numb for about three inches below and two inches wide. It is still today numb about 1.5 inches below and 2 inches wide (so, about half the original affected area now has feeling.)

About 2 weeks after the bite, I thought I noticed a little depression in the muscle on the left side of my lower leg, about 2" lower than the end of my calf muscle, but on the left outside. Today I noticed it again, but this depression is much larger: it is approx. an oval with avg 2" diameter and .25" depressed.

The right leg does not match this.

So, I believe the nerve at the back of the lower leg has been damaged... can this produce muscular atrophy? Do I require surgery to repair?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:47 pm

User avatar Hi Robertavila,

Damage to a nerve can most certainly cause the muscle it was supplying to shrink (properly called atrophy). Given that you have some numbness it is likely that some nerve damage has occurred.

I would recommend you see a neurologist for an evaluation and recommendations for treatment.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us