Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: rectal abcess

stevd007 - Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:50 pm

I am a 34 y/o male. One year ago, I had a huge external rectal abcess that drained on its own. I now have an internal abcess that the doctor suggested surgery for. He performed an incision and a needle aspiration on abcess a couple days ago. It was very painful but it seems to have accomplished its goal. I have no more pain. The doctor told me if it felt better then cancel the surgery. My concern is, did he get all the infection out or should I go through with the surgery to make sure? He took a sample to check for the cause of the bacteria, such as MRSA. I also work in a hospital. Please help!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:43 pm

User avatar Hi Steved007,

If your pain is dramatically improved it is unlikely that you still have a significant infection. Often, after the area is drained the antibiotics are able to work much better and can clear the infection.

I would recommend seeing your doctor and discussing the need for further surgical drainage. It is likely you will not need this given your improvement thus far.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us